Wednesday 11 September 2013

Crayfish & Chardonnay

As I have written before, I think that Chardonnay is a great pairing with crayfish. This time I opened a bottle from Hamilton Russell. Info here.

2011 Hamilton Russell Vineayards Chardonnay
The nose is big, mighty and open with notes of lemoncello, ripe yellow pears, candied lemon peel, bonfire, galia melon and crushed rocks. Not the sleekest creature on earth but it has both big ripe fruit and a healthy dose of refinement. Very, very good.
When you take a sip you get a young, potent and structured wine in your mouth. The fruit is ripe and warm but there is a fine balance here and the acidity is high and cleans the mouth effectively. The finish is long and ends with a nice dry twist. Drinking great but I think it actually will get better with 2-3 years cellaring. And the pairing then - well, I would liked to have a touch more sleek Chardonnay to get that perfect pairing.
90p   (tasted 2013/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment