Thursday 23 May 2013

2007 Barbera d´Alba Scarrone, Vietti

I opened this with Wednesday dinner - grilled chicken fillets and grilled mixed vegetables and a cold herb sauce. I´m usually very found of the Scarrone from Vietti, and the Scarrone Vigna Vecchia even more so, but this bottle didn´t get me going like it use to. This was my first taste of the 2007, and it didn´t leave me wanting more.

2007 Barbera d´Alba Scarrone, Vietti
An upfront, young, pushy nose with notes of cherry jam, raspberry chocolate truffles, licorice, sherry vinegar, warm earth and a touch of banana peel. In short, all over the place. There is some depth here but the overall impression is of a unbalanced wine. Maybe it will calm down with some more age?
The taste is tighter and leaner than the nose, with notes of ripe raspberries, licorice, sun warm tiles and some warm herbs. The finish is medium long and warm. Nothing wrong with some warmth in your Barbera, but I expect more structure and fresh acidity from Vietti. A good wine but a bit of a let down all the same.
84p   (tasted 2013/05)

No comments:

Post a Comment