Tuesday 17 May 2016

A Bottle Of Bubbly - 2004 Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill, Pol Roger

I tasted the 2002 a couple of days ago and was eager to open the lonely bottle of 2004 that was lying in the fridge, tempting me, Calling my name...

2004 Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill, Pol Roger
A lovely creamy texture greets me when I put my nose in the glass, exposing fine notes of roasted hazelnuts, white peach, silky perfume and lots of crushed rocks. High and pure. As with the 2002 it displays more Chardonnay characteristics than Pinot. Lovely. On day two it is even more buttery and velvety. Great now but will become even better with time.
The taste is young, finely tuned and creamy with notes of summer flowers, white currants and peach, and lots of minerals. A long, slender finish with a fine acidity. Very, very good. Almost identical on day two. Give this beauty 4-6 years in the cellar. I´m sure that the 02 will outlive this and become a greater wine in time but today there isn´t much that differs between these two fine examples of Winston Churchill.
94p   (tasted 2016/05)



No comments:

Post a Comment