Monday 22 June 2015

Two Bottles Of Brunello

Ever since my Brunello project I get from time to time the urge to open a bottle of Brunello, or as in this case two bottles.

2010 Brunello di Montalcino Val di Suga, Tenimenti Angelini
I have bought some bottles from this the "best-vintage-ever" (have we heard this before?), but this is the first bottle opened. The nose is warm and a bit dusty at first, but soon opens up with notes of red and black cherries, Tuscan road dust, pinewood sap and a hint of bonfire. Very good and with a fine character.
The taste is young and firm with notes of cool cherry fruit, raspberry liquorice, rosemary, violets and warm gravel. A good length with a fine warmth. Needs time. Very good.
90p   (tasted 2015/06)



2008 Brunello di Montalcino, Poggio Nero
I had read that this was a price worthy Brunello (18 Euro) so I got one bottle for a check up. It opens a bit shy on the nose with notes of sour cherries, gravel and dried mushrooms. With air it opens up a bit more but it remains a rather backward, old school type of Sangiovese. From time to time you could confuse it with a traditional Barolo.
The taste is young, tight and dry with notes of cherry pips, dry liquorice, gravel and dry rosemary. Good in a backward style. Needs a lot of air. But will I buy more of it? I don´t think so. It doesn´t really speak to me.
85p   (tasted 2015/06)

No comments:

Post a Comment