Sunday 3 May 2015

1986 Château Tahbilk & 1986 Château De La Rivière


A couple of weeks ago I opened these over dinner with some friends.

1986 Château Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon
A deep, hedonistic, round and sweet nose with notes of pickled cherries, baked red beets, cigar smoke, black currant jam with a hint of eucalyptus. Deep and rewarding. A lovely sweetness to the fruit. Some maturity but this is lively yet. Keeps it up all evening long.
The taste plump, intense and warm with notes of pipe tobacco, ripe black currants, scorched earth and worn leather. The eucalyptus note is hidden in the long, warm finish. Ends dry and fine. I guess we caught this on its height of evolution, I wouldn´t save any bottles for much longer. A great drink.
91p   (tasted 2015/04)



1986 Château de La Rivière
I have to explore this estate more. In the last month or two I have drunk the 1990 and
the 1985 (from magnum), and now this. In all cases I have found a really fine, firm, old fashioned Bordeaux that's really is up my alley. And they can be bought for a song!
Anyway, the 1986 offers up a deep, mature, somewhat low keyed nose that needs some time in the glass to open up. When it does, fine scents of red and black currants, dried plums, cigar ashes, stables and worn leather oozes up from the glass. A rustic elegance. Touch of violet pastilles. Really, really good. Fully mature, I guess.
The taste is taut, tight and mature with ripe black currants, warm herbs, cigar, autumn leaves and old leather. The finish is medium bodied with some finely chiselled tannins and a lovely dryness, the perfect food companion. Very, very good. This is also on top of its game but I´m sure that this will stay this way for at least another 4-6 years. As good as the 1990.
I managed to secure 6 more bottles of the 1986, for the ghastly prize of 13 Euro each - who´s says Bordeaux is expensive...:-)
93p   (tasted 2015/04)

No comments:

Post a Comment