Tuesday 23 December 2014

The Night Before Christmas & A Revelation!

It is the day before Christmas. Almost everything is prepared and we finish the evening with a light dish with zucchini pasta with chicken filets and a mushroom sauce. I rummaged through the rest of the 64´s and found this bottle.
A Aloxe-Corton (or that what the list said when I bought it) with no producer indicated on the label, at least on the part of the label that still is attached to the bottle.
I had no expectations what so ever (and had a back up bottle ready), the cork broke in several pieces, and what do I get in the glass...

1964 Aloxe-Corton, ?
What!! The nose just oozes up from the glass with wonderful aromas of deep, concentrated, ripe raspberries, sweet red beets, forest floor, sweet rosehips and a lingering tobacco note. A lovely maturity, just in a perfect stage. This is truly great. A fine depth. And it just gets better and better in the glass, more harmonious and with a mature sweetness.
The taste is beautifully ripe and velvety with just the right amount of grip and texture. There is ripe raspberries, forest floor, liquorice, cedar and parsnips, flowing over the tongue. The finish is long, tight and fresh with a gorgeous acidity. This is drinking just perfectly now. Great wine.
If this really is "only" a Aloxe-Corton, this behaves well above its pedigree, considering its age. Just gorgeous! If anyone know what producer this is, please let me know. Now, can I get hold of some more bottles?
94p   (tasted 2014/12)


2 comments:

  1. This wine is a real surprise....looking like this I would not even pay $20.

    Any plan to open something big for the coming Holidays....??

    I bought for myself 2 bottles of 2004 Valpolicella Sup.Quintarelli.....and 1 bottle of 1981 Bas-Armagnac

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you!
      I think I paid 25 Euro for it....well worth it!!

      I will keep on opening those 64's! With some reserve bottles in the background... :-)

      Delete