Friday 26 December 2014

The Christmas Port - 1964 Port Vinho Generoso, Casa do Douro

I needed some Port to go with the creamy Stilton and stingy Cheddar. I have never seen this producer and I was anxious to see how this should behave. And I am curious to what this is. It is not a Vintage Port, nor a Single Quinta, nor a Tawny, and the label doesn´t say - if anyone knows what it is, please let me know. The colour is in any instance that of a tawny.
Since I am the only one who drinks fortified wines in the family (too bad...:-)), this bottle will last for me all Christmas long.

1964 Port Vinho Generoso, Casa do Douro
The nose is deep and sweet with masses of milk chocolate, figs, white raisins, moist earth and a wet bonfire. Very deep and intoxicating. Vanilla cookies with melted chocolate and some dark liquorice. This is hedonism in a glass!
The taste is velvety and creamy, yet intense and with lots of power. Gorgeous notes of milk chocolate cream, pistachio nuts, figs, old leather and a touch of cap gun smoke. A lovely warmth in the long finish. Fully mature and drinking extremely well.
93p   (tasted 2014/12)



No comments:

Post a Comment