Thursday 5 April 2012

The Easter Syrah Battle - Part I



I opened these two Syrah bottles a couple of hours ago. It was a couple of years ago I tasted each of these and I thought it was high time tasting them again. I tasted them almost at the same time 8 years ago. At that time I thought highly of them - this was my tasting note way back:

2001 Les Aspres Syrah, Domaine Cros
A Syrah from Minervois. Holy s...t! I don´t usually use profanity but words did escape me when I put my nose in the glas. It is so deep, complex and profound, and at the same time big and brawny, that you don´t know what to make of it. Some of my notes read hard fried bacon, violets, licorice, undergrowth, raw meat, sweet tobacco etc. Very, very complex. It just gets better and better in the glas, settles down a little and a wine of beautiful proportions and concentration emerges. This is as good as it gets.
The taste is very, very concentrated and intense with notes of sweet blueberries, dark chocolate, licorice, warm earth and oak vanilla. The finish is over 1 minute long and is warm, balanced and complex. Lots of new oak but the fruit stands up to it. Needs time in the bottle, but I wouldn´t be surprised if I would score this even higher with 2-3 hours in a decanter. This is a must buy!
96p   (tasted 2004/01)


2000 Alban Reva Syrah
This was the “nicest” one in the lineup. A deep, full bodied nose with notes of sweet blueberrys, pine forrest, licorice and a touch of toothpaste. Very, very good. Even elegant.
The taste is young, tight and intense with sweet, concentrated red and black fruit and matching tannins. Notes of blueberrys, rasberrys, bacon, licorice and some oak-vanilla. Very, very long. This is going to be a great wine in 5-10 years, but I don´t think it´s on the same level as the -98 (97p).
94p   (tasted 2004/05)





Well, what about now then. Just popped and poured and then decanted for two hours.

2001 Les Aspres Syrah, Domaine Cros
A deep, powerful, profound nose with gorgeous notes of black cherries in liquor, violets, tar, dark chocolate and sweet rosemary. Very, very deep. A lovely purity to the fruit. With air beautiful aromas of warm forest floor emerges. Great wine!
The tatste is a big mouthful with lots of sweet black fruit - blueberries, black cherries and rasberries. The tannins are fully integrated in the fruit. A very nice balance. Great structure. The finish goes on for over a minute. This has aged very well, but, alas, my last bottle out of the two cases I bought after the tasting above in 2004. The first 23 bottles almost evaporated in a few months time...:-) I regret I don´t bought more at the time. A stunning wine!
96p   (tasted 2012/04)



2000 Alban Reva Syrah
Out of the starting blocks, this is all over the place and the aromas is of the non-fruity kind - band aid, burnt rubber and a touch metallic. But with two hour in the decanter other aromas emerge - there is lots of sweet blueberries, rasberries, warm cookie dough and dark fudge. Very deep. A very nice warmth. Blueberry pie with whipped cream!
The taste is big and brawny with lots of tarry sweet black fruit and notes of dark chocolate, violet tablets, meat and warm earth. Very long, intense and big. In the end of the finish there is a touch of alcohol warmth. This is in a fine drinking window with a nice piece of grilled meat, but I think it was better young.
91p   (tasted 2012/04)

No comments:

Post a Comment